Kids will love these Garden-based Science, Nature, and Nutrition Lessons are written for Third and Fourth Grade students (and can also be used with older children).
The Third and Fourth Grade Winter Lessons explore Plant Classification, and the inherited similarities plants have within families. Children examine common plant families found in an edible garden to allow them to recognize various plant species, identify their nutritional needs and benefits, and determine crop interdependence.
- 10 scaffolded easy to teach lessons that build upon themselves from week to week
- Cross-curriculum content that brings real-life relevance to other subject areas
- All-inclusive photos and resources provided, which means less prep time and more time learning outdoors (printable page for kids is also included)
- Each week has a 2-3 page scripted lesson so that teachers and parents can lead with confidence
Topics Covered Include:
- Introduction to Classification and Garden Plant Families
- The Legume Family (Includes an Estimation Math Activity)
- The Brassica Family (Making a Planting Plan)
- The Mint Family (Nutrition and "How-to" of Herbal Tea)
- The Allium (Onion) Family (with a Recipe for Tabbouleh)
- The Umbellifer (Parsley) Family (Includes and Activity to Grow Food from Scraps)
- The Beetroot (Goosefoot) Family (Beet Juice Tasting and Art)
- The Ginger Family (Nutrition and Review of Roots and Rhizomes)
- The Grass (Grains) Family (with Popcorn 101 Science)
- The Nightshade Family (Companion Planting for Biodiversity Within Your Garden)
This tested elementary school curriculum makes it easy to have or add garden-based learning to any classroom or home. Kids will not feel like they are doing any "work" while engaging with their environment. Learning about where our food comes from encourages community, collaboration, environmental awareness, and life-long healthy habits.
Buy this single book of 10 seasonal lessons for $47 (or buy the COMPLETE 3-Book Third and Fourth grade series for Fall, Winter and Spring for $125).
Comes in a sturdy spiral-bound format printed on 14pt extra thick semi-gloss card stock for durability outdoors (Covers are 16pt).
Having a garden plot is helpful but not needed for these lessons to be impactful!