The Winter Lessons explore nature and focus on the various parts of a plant. By the end of the season, kids have learned the critical role each component plays for the entire plant's survival and life cycle. In Lesson 10, children also learn about planning future crops while thinking about warmer temperatures to come.
- 10 scaffolded easy to teach lessons that build upon themselves from week to week
- Cross-curriculum content that brings real-life relevance to other subject areas
- All-inclusive photos and resources provided, which means less prep time and more time learning outdoors (printable pages for kids are also included)
- Each week has a 2-3 page scripted lesson so that teachers and parents can lead with confidence
Topic Covered Include:
- Bird and animal adaptations to weather
- Seeds - their diversity, germination, and role in a plant's life cycle
- Plant Roots - their role and introduction to soil health
- Stems - the ability to transfer water and minerals and plant propagation
- Leaves - their diversity and an introduction to photosynthesis
- Flowers - their diversity and introduction to pollination
- What qualifies as fruit and how they house the next generation of the plant
- Creating a super tasty and nutritious snack with multiple parts of a plant
- Using your five senses to complete a Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Warm-season crop planning and an introduction to growing tomatoes
This is a tested elementary school curriculum that makes it easy to have or add garden-based learning to any classroom or home. Kids will not feel like they are doing any "work" while engaging with their environment. Learning about where our food comes from encourages community, collaboration, environmental awareness, and life-long healthy habits.
Having a garden plot is helpful, but not needed for these lessons to be impactful!
Except for pages marked “Reproducible” only one printed copy of this document is permitted. No other part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form by any means – electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning, or otherwise – without prior written permission of Rutabaga Education, LLC.