Kids will love these Garden-based Science, Nature, and Nutrition Lessons, written for First and Second Grade (and can be used with older children).
The First and Second Grade Winter Lessons explore the concept of both animal and plant adaptations during the chilly months. Children are also exposed to a healthy dose of nutrition and learn how smart food choices impact their health. Toward the end of the season, lessons focus on seasonal and companion planting.
- Ten scaffolded easy to teach lessons that build upon themselves from week to week
- Cross-curriculum content that brings real-life relevance to other subject areas
- All-inclusive photos and resources provided, which means less prep time and more time learning outdoors (printable pages for kids are also included)
- Each week has a 2-3 page scripted lesson so that teachers and parents can lead with confidence
Topics Covered Include:
- Bird and Animal Adaptations to Weather
- Evergreen Trees, Pine Cones, and Pine Nuts (Classification and Nutrition)
- Herbs and Herbal Tea
- Eat from the Rainbow Review (Nutrition)
- Foods to Eat and Grow for Brain Health
- Whole Grains (Nutrition and Recipe)
- Eating a Healthy Breakfast for a Productive Day
- Roots and Rhizomes (Distinguishing Between the Two Plant Categories)
- Warm Season Planning and Tomatoes
- Companion Planting for Biodiversity Within Your Garden
This tested elementary school curriculum makes it easy to have or add garden-based learning to any classroom or home. Kids will not feel like they are doing any "work" while engaging with their environment. Learning about where our food comes from encourages community, collaboration, environmental awareness, and life-long healthy habits.
Buy this single book of 10 seasonal lessons for $47 (or buy the COMPLETE - 3 Book First and Second series for Fall, Winter, and Spring for $125.00).
Comes in a sturdy spiral-bound format printed on 14pt extra thick semi-gloss card stock for durability outdoors (Covers are 16pt).
Having a garden plot is helpful but not needed for these lessons to be impactful!